Learn how to code Arcade games in Python
What you’ll learn
- Learn the fundamentals of writing 2D Arcade games in Python
- Understand basic collision detection, collision resolution for top-down, ball-bouncing, and platformer games
- Write games such as Tank Attacks, Brick-Breaker, Platformer Game(like Super Mario), Tetris
- Basic Knowledge of Python(Crash Course Python notes available)
Learn how to code Arcade games in Python! We will use the Python Arcade Library to code games. Arcade is a very easy to use library. It is more intuitive, requires less boiler-plate code and more Pythonic than Pygame. The library has many contributors on Github and is actively maintained with almost daily updates.
Learn to code the following games:
1) Tank Attacks: A top-down tank shooting game.
2) Brick Breaker: Classic brick breaker game.
3) Platformer Game: A Mario-like side-scrolling platformer game(side scrolling, with climbing ladders and moving platforms). This game is written from scratch; we implement all of the platformer collisions and resolution without using any physics library.
And more to come soon!
We will learn the fundamentals of writing arcade games including:
1) Drawing basic shapes
2) Basic Animation
3) Keyboard and Mouse inputs
4) Working with Images and Sprites
5) Animating Characters/Sprites
6) Basic Collision Detection
7) Resolving Wall Collisions for Top-Down Games
8) Shoot Bullets, Aim and Shoot at Angle.
10) Simulating Explosions
11) Adding Sounds
12) Using Tiled Map Editor to Create Game Maps/Worlds
13) Implementing from scratch Ball-Brick Collisions for Brick-Breaker Game
14) Write a Platformer Game like Super Mario from Scratch(side scrolling, with climbing ladders and moving platforms)
15) Learn how to write Tetris from scratch!
Who this course is for:
- Any level Python students who would like to learn how to write Arcade games.
This course includes
- 8.5 hours on-demand video
- 19 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV